Monday, March 9, 2009

Questions We're Asked

Many times people will write or call us and ask how we make our caps, what kind of yarn do we use, what size needles we use and what size caps are made. In answer to the questions, first:
How do we make our caps? Our caps are knitted or crocheted. There isn't any one way to make them. The basic pattern is that we make our caps around 5 1/2 inches long before we start decreasing. We then decrease every other row starting by k2tog every 9 stitches, then 8 stitches, 7 stitches until we have around 18 stitches on our needle. Our basic pattern is the garter stitch. However, many people make caps with other patterns. I've made several different style caps. But, basically, I make the caps to fit me. I have a smaller head. We have other knitters that have other size heads. Everyone can't have the same size because we are all different in stature, weight and sizes. The main thing is that the yarn is soft for sleeping or wearing outside or even in the house. Which is the second question: We basically use I Love This Yarn (I.L.T.Y.). And, if anyone asks me, I tell them to get I.L.T.Y. We've used other yarns like airy, Caron, and Red Heart Soft. If you use a yarn that isn't really soft, you can wash the cap and use a softener. The cap will be soft. You do not want to use wool.
The third question is: What size needles? I knit with a 9 or 10, others use a 11. Some knit with a 10 1/2. It depends on what you want to work with. You just adjust your gauge. I don't know how to use a circular needle nor do I know how to end a cap with four straight needles. You knit with whatever you are comfortable. I like fast patterns because I can get more caps with simple patterns. You can add buttons, ribbons or flowers. It depends on what you want. Remember, the caps are going to many different people. What you like, someone else may not like. But, we've never had a problem with people taking our caps and being happy with them.
We will not charge anyone for our caps! That is the only rule we have in our group. We may differ in patterns, yarns, styles, knit or crochet (which I cannot do, by the way) but the one thing we adhere to is that we give the caps to those who need them and a smile on their face or the thank you that they tell us is all we need.
I hope that this answers any questions you may have regarding our beautiful caps.

No comments: