Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Correspondance Between Vivian and a Knitter, Anne Lee

Subject: information request
To: Chemocaps@yahoo.com
Date: Sunday, July 12, 2009, 3:36 PM


Dear Joyce's ChemoCap Project
I would like information on your requirements for accepting hand-knitted cap donations. I recently sent a dozen or so hand-knitted caps to one group that responded that even though I used soft, washable yarns, they required that the caps be knit from one of their three recommended inexpensive yarns (which I hadn't known beforehand). I had already purchased a large stash of finer, soft, washable yarns; few were the specific yarns that they wanted. Since I am committed to continuing to make caps, I need to find another group that will accept caps made from very soft cottons, cotton-blends, and acrylic blends. Because my sister (in whose honor and memory I knit chemo caps) was treated for cancer twice in Dallas, I was interested in your group when I saw it on the Internet.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Annejlee
--------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for contacting our group. We take crochet and knit chemo caps made with soft yarn. We have some yarn preferences but anything soft works for us.
All of the yarns that you mentioned are currently being used by our group. What type of pattern are you using to make the caps? I can E mail you the pattern we use if you wish. But all of the ladies just do their own thing with colors and patterns.
How exactly did you hear about our group? We are located in the Dallas area. Actually, are in Allen, Texas about 25 miles north of Dallas. Were are you located?
We tag all of our caps before we distribute them. If you would like to mail the caps to our group I will give you our mailing address. As you might know we distribute to 5 cancer centers in our area.
We have people across Texas making caps for our group. We also have a group in Pennsylvania where Joyce's sister lives.
I will give you the Texas mailing address. If you would like the Pennsylvania address I will send it Later.
Please feel free to contact us if you need additional assistance or more information.
And thank you again for contacting our group.

Vivian
Joyce's Chemo Cap Project

-----------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for your quick response! I now live near Sacramento, CA but got my BS degree from SMU in Dallas and my PhD from UTD in Richardson in the 1970s. My sister, in whose memory I now knit chemo caps, was treated for Hodgkin's in Dallas (Dr. Weisberg) in the late 70s, and then again 25 yrs later for colon cancer. She had been a founder, or at least involved in the start of, Gilda's Club of North Texas (I think that's the proper name). She passed away 4 years ago next week.

I found your group by googling - "chemo cap donations," I think it was. When I first realized that there were groups who collected and distributed caps for chemo patients last spring, I downloaded a number of patterns from various chemo-cap sites, and also purchased a few, that looked interesting and were without seams. My yarn-buying frenzy yielded all sorts of interesting, soft, washable, non-wool yarns; since I'd never been too wild about knitting with acrylics, most of these were cottons, and various blends of cotton, acrylic, bamboo & nylon. I took my first nearly dozen caps to the Med Center in Sacramento. Then I found Knots of Love on the Internet and sent the next batch to them; but they then indicated that they only wanted caps made from 3 specific yarns, none of which I had. So I recently went back on line to find a group who might want the dozens that I'll be making from my yarn stash! I was delighted to find your group in the Dallas area because when I became inspired to make caps, I had wanted to support patients in the Dallas area.

I really want to make caps that patients want to wear - so if they really prefer simple rolled-brim, stockinette hats from acrylic yarns, for example, I can focus on making those. I'd love to know what patterns your group use, and yarn preferences.

Anyway, that's my chemo-cap story and my connection with Dallas. I'm going to be away for the next few weeks, but I'll send my next batch to you and you can let me know if you like them, or re-direct me!

Thanks.
Anne Lee
--------------------------------------

Hello, again Anne.
We currently deliver caps to Parkland and UT-SW in Dallas. Our friend Joyce took her treatments at those two centers. We would love to have your caps.
Joyce had mentioned that even the pillow case hurt her head at night. That is when we started our group. We still make the soft caps to wear at night. Our pattern has a seam but it is almost invisible. As I mentioned the ladies just do their own thing. Some use straight needles and some use circular needles.
The only yarn that we have found that is not real soft is the Red Heart Super Saver. Although if you wash the caps and dry them the yarn is softer. We mainly purchase yarn at Hobby Lobby. We like their brand I LOVE THIS YARN. But as I mentioned any soft yarn will work.
I am sending the basic knit pattern for you information. It sounds like you have done a lot of research and have the patterns necessary.
Thank you again and hope to hear from you soon.
Vivian
-----------------------------------------------
Hi Vivian

I have completed five knitted, and two crocheted, caps that I'd like to send you for distribution. If you donate to Baylor Hospital in Dallas, I'd be particularly pleased if mine were to go there - as that's where my sister received her last treatments... Do I need to fill out any forms to send with them? I put a tag on mine to note the fiber content; if you need additional information, please let me know. I just send them to you, right? at:


Joyce's Chemo Cap Project
1206 Thoreau Lane
Allen, Texas 75002

Thanks.

Anne Lee
-------------------------------------------------------
That would be wonderful Anne. You have the address correct.
We will make sure that they are donated to Baylor.
Thank you again for participating in the Joyce's Chemo Cap Project.
Vivian
------------------------------------------

No comments: