Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lisa's Story and Advise


Lisa sent us this added article that was in the Breast Cancer Website. She tells her story and gives very good advise!

Yearly Mammogram Caught Breast Cancer

My gynecologist put me on an estrogen patch after my hysterectomy, against my better judgment. Less than two years later, at age 50, a yearly mammogram and subsequent testing revealed a cancer tumor in my left breast. I had a lumpectomy in October, 2009. My surgeon said the tumor was too deep for me to feel and find. The sentinel lymph nodes were cancerous, so the underarm (axilla) lymph nodes had to be removed and 14 (over half!) were cancerous. That meant stage 3 -- chemo and radiation. I am currently in chemo, and winter is a good time to go through this with wigs and hats. I have a great husband, caring friends and wonderful people involved in my medical care and in my breast cancer support group. I also have an uncomfortable and ugly port in my chest and am dealing with lymphedema (arm pain and swelling) which can happen when you have lymph nodes removed and after radiation. I wish researchers would find out what causes cancer and cure it but, in the meantime, all we have is early detection. My advice is to get a yearly mammogram, especially when going through menopause, make sure they are taken and processed digitally, and avoid HRT if you can.

Lisa
Richardson, TX

2 comments:

Alice said...

Please - where can I find the patterns that you have created or found to be successful? I'm learning to make these, and there are a lot out there, some I've tried work and some still have ridges. I'd love to make some with your patterns.
thanks!

Joyce's Chemo Caps said...

You can find our pattern thoughout the blog. They're relatively easy to make. Send us an email at chemocaps@yahoo.com for more info.

We're happy that you visited our blog! God Bless You.